Saturday, September 1, 2012

From Trash to Treasure

So I saved this post a while back on Pinterest, knowing I would get to it eventually.  I have had an empty wipes container sitting in my craft room for a couple months with the intentions of doing this project.  Now that the aftermath of unpacking some scrapbooking stuff that I took on vacation and my craft room being rearranged 2 weeks ago to make way for our new water heater are both over, I decided to finally give it a go!  The tutorial on the blog that I linked above uses fabric and fabric Mod Podge to cover the container, but I used scrapbook paper and regular matte Mod Podge.  I used a large container, and it measured almost 14 inches around.  This was a slight challenge, because typical scrapbook paper is 12x12.  I just used a strip of coordinating solid paper to cover the gap and then embellished with some flowers and buttons.

Here is what I did:
  • peeled the label off the container so it wouldn't show through or be lumpy
  • trimmed 12x12 floral paper (from DCWV stack...not sure which one) to 7" x 12"
  • applied a coat of Mod Podge to the container and then to the back of the paper, stuck it on
  • did the same with the small strip of green paper (approximately 1.5" x 7")
  • applied coat of Mod Podge over top of all the paper
  • Added flowers and buttons using glue dots once Mod Podge dried
Actually, I ended up removing the BIG orange flower that I put on the top of the lid after I took the pictures...  The more I looked at it, the more it screamed "too much!"  Jason agreed that it had to go!  I took our bag of bags, and got to work rolling them to store in the container.

We went from this bulky "patient belongings" bag that sticks out and makes it hard to get through the landing at the top of the basement stairs...

 To this, super cute and compact wipes container turned bag dispenser...
Bag dispenser (picture it minus the big orange thing on top)

Lots of bags, rolled up and ready to go
Check out the original blog post (linked at the top of this post) for instructions on how to roll up your bags so that they dispense easily.  Since this was large container, I was able to fit a lot more bags than the original tutorial mentions.  I didn't count how many bags I got in there...I just kept flattening, folding, and rolling until the roll was as big I could fit in the container.

No comments:

Post a Comment